[Dailydrool] anal glands & colitis

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 13:11:05 PDT 2009

Well, Joey's been a bit off ever since we moved, so I finally broke down &
started to research what vet to take him too. I picked the one that had the
most positive ratings on the internet, and they saw me walk in, all said
"Oh, is that a basset?!" and promptly came over to give him a squish. I
think it was a good choice!

After a lot of poking & prodding, slides were made, and the vet tech lady
was sent to take care of his anal glands. They were the size of walnuts! No
wonder he was doing the "boot scoot!" So, she of course expressed them, and
boy did he ever YOWL! Seriously, folks down in TX may've heard him! I heard
them tell the folks in the waiting room not to worry, the dog was not
actually being inured, despite the noises being made! He tried to make a
break for it a few times, and it was absolutely disgusting! They wound up
leaving a bottle of fabreeze, squirting him w/smell be gone stuff twice, and
mopping the floor twice. It smelled so bad, I was opening the door &
sticking my head out! (Doc said "Sorry! That's why I told them to bring him
in the back!" they were afraid he'd go after the resident cat (who's
crippled, w/no use of his hind legs, so he scoots along a bit slowly), so
they did him in the room instead).

At the end of the day, he had the anals expressed, and has 2 meds for the
colitis. At least it wasn't anything else major, and we're hoping that this
will indeed take care of the problem in a few days just like doc said.
Joey's currently resting on the futon, giving me the look!
--
-Karrie, momma to Joey, Aunty to Checkers & Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473

GABR Waddle Pledge page: http://www.firstgiving.com/kueckerhounds