[Dailydrool] Poision Ivy

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Aug 25 05:58:59 PDT 2009

Hi Marlene,

I have never had poison ivy myself, but have had a number of friends and co-workers who have.  This is the treatment that is prescribed for quick healing of the external wounds. Good old fashioned Fells Naphtha Soap.  Apply some lather from the soap to the oozing wounds and allow to dry.  It is supposed to be wonderful for drying up and healing the itch.  One person said that it made a burning sensation though, so use with caution.  Should be able to get it at many stores, but look it up on line, or maybe call a pharmacy if you can't find it on the shelf.  Let us know if you try this method and how well it works for him.

As for Bassets or other dogs getting Poison Ivy, NO according to my vet.  But YOU can get it by petting the dog after they get the oils on their coat.  I use a baby wipe and furiously clean my dogs when they have been exposed.  So far, so good. Perhaps I am just less sensitive than other people, or maybe just extremely lucky.  I don't really want to find out which!

One can get poison ivy rash even in places where you weren't exposed via more than one means.  If Hubby had it on his arm and wiped the sweat from his brow, he would get it from secondary contact. The primary contact would have been arm to plant, with secondary contact being from transference off of the primary contact site.  Another, less happy way to spread it is via the blood stream, or secondary nerve irritation.  Not knowing for sure which it could really be, let me explain the two theories.  One is that the poison gets into the blood stream and moves around in the body causing eruptions.  One friend only had a small primary exposure, but had reactions all over her body.  This was her 3rd exposure to the toxin in as many years, so she had a really bad reaction.  The other is that the nerves just rebel and one gets reactions in different locations because of the irritation in one place.  Much like an allergic reaction to other contact toxins.  Don't really know which is actually true, but do know that with repeated exposure one can have painful eruptions in many more places than actually touch the plant.

The biggest caution is in removing and disposing of the actual plant!  One should spray and kill the plant, then allow it to die and dry up some to kill the root.  Even so, never touch even the "dead" plant with bare skin.  Once it is very dead, and the root has been killed, use heavy gloves that go up the arm, dig out the root and dispose of by bagging and burying.  NEVER BURN poison ivy, as the smoke is full of oils and can get into the lungs and cause the inflammation there too.  Wash any implements used on the poison ivy with fells naphtha soap too.  Birds are immune to it, and they eat the berries then sit in trees or on fences and poop them out, spreading the plant.  If you can find the source of the seeds and kill and remove that as well, you will have a better chance of eliminating the problems for yourself and the rest of the neighborhood.  It might be a block or two away from your house, and the birds are spreading it.  If you can get the whole neighborhood to cooperate it will be even better.

Good luck!
Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!