[Dailydrool] Warf and blindness

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 13:22:53 PDT 2009

Our very first Basset, Warf, went blind one day. There was no warning, no
glaucoma. In fact, he had lymphoma and it made him blind one afternoon when
we were not home.
Not knowing what to do, not being members of the Drool, not getting much
direction (no pun intended) from our Vet, we just pretended to know what we
were doing.
We began teaching him words like "up" , "down","watch out", "step up", "step
down" and "stop".

Within a week we were taking our walks as usual. Anyone who did not know
Warf was blind would never have figured it out. "Step up"onto a curb. "Step
down" off the curb. "Watch out" there's a hole. Oh, and "go around".

Bassets depend, I think, less on their eyes than some other breeds, like
(duh) sight hounds. As long as the nose knows, they're ok.

MomPerson