[Dailydrool] Clouds new brother

June Davis auntie_em98 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 6 18:49:44 PST 2009

Hey all haven't been on in awhile, had problems with the laptop and for some odd reason my emails stopped forwarding to my cell phone.

One week ago a stray basset followed my youngest son home from a friends house. I took him to my vet to see if he had a chip. No Dice. Animal shelter was closed on Monday so he came back home with me. After a night of giving daddy the saaad eyes, Ben said if he wasn't listed in the paper, no listing at the animal shelter, we would keep him. Kept in contact with our vet to see if anyone listed a lost basset. No ad in the paper and the vet didn't have a listing of one. In one last ditch effort to find out if he had a home, we called the animal shelter. They had a lost basset reported by a woman who HAD owned a male basset but had given him to another family. The other family reported that they had lost a basset on Nov. 20th and wasn't sure what color collar the dog had on!!!!! What!!!! We called the number of the lady who had owned him first, and she came to our vet to verify that this was the dog that she had in fact given this other family. Well it was, she proceeded to tell us that the other family didn't have a fenced yard and the kids would just let him out the door, never watched him, etc. Ben and I both told the lady that we are very interested in keeping the dog. When he followed Eli home he was skin and bones, and was very scared of people. Well she said that she was convinced that we were the better family for the dog.

So I am proud to announce that Cloud has a new brother and his name is Stony. These 2 are never far from one another. We go out to use the bathroom on leashes and they both wine if they are more than 4 feet from each other. Cloud has convinced Stony that people are OK, his people are the greatest. Stony has put on weight nicely, he is still a little on the skinny side, but we are working on that. Stony is house trained, will follow Cloud into the kennel at bed time without any prompting other than "Stony kennel up", Stony is not agressive torwards toys, sharing food bowls, water bowls. And the very best part is that he is not aggressive towards cats. They act like they have been together since birth, they have bonded that quickly. I don't think Stony has ever had a bath, because he shook the entire time I was giving him a bath today, and boy was he dirty.

I don't think he was ever in a home that truely understood bassets, the first time I was giving him a belly rub he did that basset groan of happiness. He quickly quieted and tensed up. It took a few more minutes of belly rubs to relax.

Anyway sorry this got so long, if any one is on facebook and would like to see pictures look me up by my name "June Davis" my profile picture is of Cloud (a basset baby) the day we got him.