[Dailydrool] Alternative to I/D

Rosemary Ryan r2 at q.com
Mon Dec 7 11:30:56 PST 2009

I have a flyer the Science Diet put out in 1987 with recipes for home
cooked versions of their prescription diets. I fed the home-cooked K/D
with great success. Here is their recipe for home-cooked I/D (with which
I have no personal experience).

Canine Highly Digestible Diet
1/2 cup Cream of Wheat cooked to make about 2 cups
1 1/2 cups creamed cottage cheese
1 large hard-cooked egg
2 Tbsp dried brewer's yeast (inactive)
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp potassium chloride
1 tsp dicalcium phosphate (substitute= bone meal)
1 tsp calcium carbonate (substitute=egg shells)
Balanced supplement which fulfills that canine minimum daily requirement
for all vitamins and trace minerals

Cook Cream of Wheat according to package directions, including salt.
Cool. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in
refrigerator. Yield 2.2 pounds.

Analysis:
Protein: 7.1%
Fat:  3.7%
Carbohydrate:  11.2%
Moisture:  75.8%
Metabolizable Energy:  485 Kcal/lb

Feeding Guide - to maintain normal body weight

Body Weight                  Daily Amount
40 lbs                              2.5 lbs
60 lbs                              3.0 lbs
80 lbs                              3.75 lbs

Rosemary