[Dailydrool] Dancing with dogs

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 10:46:09 PST 2009

Last Saturday our Elsinore returned to her dance lessons (freestyle
class) with the teacher she adores. She was thrilled to be back in
the dance studio again and remembered all her steps, even though she
hadn't practiced many of them in some time. She was not thrilled to
learn that young Charlie is now taking dance lessons with her. I
think she would have been okay with it if it hadn't meant that she'd
have to sit out for part of the class so he could have a go at it.

There are two humans in this class, both of us with two dogs. As luck
would have it, the other student has a female about Elsinore's age
and disposition and a male about Charlie's age and disposition. So we
put our girls in their travel crates for about ten minutes at a time
while working with our boys, and then the boys and girls switch places.

Elsinore was very unhappy about being stuck in the crate while
Charlie tried dancing. This has been "our" thing for a couple of
years now, and she loves everything about dancing--her enthusiastic
teacher who thinks she can do no wrong, the mental stimulation of
trying to figure out what's wanted, the one-on-one positive attention
she gets from me, and all the treats she earns for doing the steps
correctly. She's loathe to give up even a minute of her dance class
to Charlie getting all that. While Charlie danced, she sat in the
crate and cried and cried and cried. It was heartbreaking. I felt
horrible.

Young Charlie was very attentive during his dance time. He paid close
attention to all the instructions and did his very best with each
step. No tuning me out or mentally leaving his body like he did
during his pet therapy class, so I guess he feels dancing is fun. His
best was actually pretty darned good. I've worked with him just a
little in the past, after practicing with Elsinore, but I always had
the feeling that he didn't really care one way or the other about
this dancing stuff. Taking him to this class was sort of a whim, and
I wasn't expecting him to fully embrace dancing. But in the studio he
seemed to be very into it. In fact, when it was his turn to sit in
the crate, he fidgeted and whined.

At the end of our first class, our teacher asked me how I felt it had
gone with having both dogs in the same class. I told her I thought
the alternating approach had worked well, but I didn't think I could
bear to go through another class with Elsinore crying so hard because
she wasn't getting to dance while Charlie was. Her teacher, who up
until now has been Elsinore's strongest supporter when it comes to
dance, suddenly developed a very hard heart. "Oh, she'll get used to
it," she told me with no concern for Elsinore's emotional well-being
and immediate happiness. So if Elsinore had thought she'd get any
sympathy from her teacher, she was pretty wrong.

Our teacher's arguments, which make a lot of sense, are that it will
do Elsinore good to be reminded that the world doesn't revolve around
her (it doesn't?). And when I get to the point of taking both dogs to
competitions or demonstrations (this is thinking really, really
ahead!), both dogs need to be used to waiting patiently in a crate
for their turn to dance. Furthermore, our teacher thinks it's not a
bad thing to have dogs in a crate feeling increasingly eager to get
out and dance because when they do get out, they have an even
stronger desire to work and tend to throw themselves into the dance
even more. Since she trains and competes with least five dogs, I
guess she knows what she's talking about. But in the meantime, I'm
feeling guilty pleasure in helping Charlie learn how to dance and
find his own style on the dance floor, and extreme guilt over not
dancing every dance with Elsinore, the one who brung me.

It'd be so much easier if Ken would come and learn how to dance, too,
and then we could both work with a dog. But Ken says ballroom dancing
lessons with me is plenty for him. He's having enough fun calling
Elsinore "Dancing Queen" and Charlie "Ballerina Boy" and really
doesn't want to be slapped with the same labels himself, I guess.

Elizabeth