[Dailydrool] Museum of Trauma Art

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 11:00:20 PST 2009

I'll donate the pellet that was removed from our Elsinore's back
about four years ago. It's sitting in a jar on a shelf over the
kitchen sink, along with the small piece of ear that basset friend
Macy tore out of Elsinore over a disagreement about who was going to
get a treat. Elsinore now has a little notch in her ear as a forever
reminder of Macy, who died two years ago and is very missed. The
piece of ear isn't eligible for the museum because its removal wasn't
very traumatic. Dramatic, yes, because Macy was all about drama, but
drama and trauma are two different things.

The actual pellet removal wasn't traumatic or even expensive, but I
imagine the acquisition of that pellet was and certainly its effects
have been. We have no idea how Elsinore came to be shot, but for some
reason someone(s) in her past hit their mark with a pellet gun and
also put a bb in her hip. About a year after Elsinore came to live
with us, the pellet started shifting around in her back, bumping into
her sciatic nerve several times a week and causing her to suddenly
stop dead in her tracks and scream with pain. That was pretty
traumatic for all of us, especially since we had no idea what was
causing her such pain.

After the pellet was discovered and removed, scar tissue formed in
the space it had occupied. A couple of times a year the scar tissue
shifts a bit and aggravates Elsinore's sciatic nerve. This usually
happens in the morning. She'll get out of her crate, stretch as
usual, and then yark yark yark with pain. We give her a muscle
relaxer and wait a very long half hour for it to kick in.

I continue to wish identical trauma on the person who shot her, and I
hope that person gets to live with the resulting lifelong sciatica
flareups just like our Elsinore.

Elizabeth