[Dailydrool] Another Bridge Baby -- Farewell my Sweet Stanley

Susan Randolph msrandolph at verizon.net
Wed Dec 9 14:38:20 PST 2009

I had to help my new rescue boy Stanley to the bridge this morning and want
to thank everyone who sent drool and messages of support.

On Thanksgiving eve he grew ill, sparking a terrifying drive to the ER vet
in the wee hours. While he seemed to respond to the meds and improve in the
first few days after that, he fell ill again over the Thanksgiving weekend
and was diagnosed with acute kidney failure. He was hospitalized and battled
that, along with a nasty bacteria, for 5.5 days before finally coming home
last Saturday. He was skinny but seemed to be doing very well ... but only
for a day. By Sunday afternoon, what the vet initially thought was a mild
complication with his tongue ballooned into uremic tongue necrosis (a VERY
nasty, aggressive and cruel condition that is a rare complication from acute
kidney failure). We battled it for the last few days (eventually resorting
to the insertion of a feeding tube so he could receive sustenance while the
tongue necrosis resolved itself) and I was hoping to bring him home
tomorrow. But overnight he developed septic peritonitis, brought on by a
perforated ulcer. I could not put him through anything more. He was hurting
and the chance for recovery was so slim that I helped him make his final
journey at 11:50 am. I kissed him repeatedly and told him what a special and
loved boy he was, though I don't know if he heard or believed me. I would
give anything to have had his final days filled with his favorite treats and
bellyrubs instead of tubes and medicines. I'm so sorry I failed you, my
sweet boy. Please know I tried.

My heart aches, and I don't know how to stop crying. But as alway, I want to
give belated thanks for the caring support of Droolers. Please hug your
houndies close tonight in honor of sweet Stanley. And if/when the time is
right, give thought to adopting a senior pup. They are the hidden treasures
within every rescue.

Godspeed Sweet Stanley. Mommy loves you. Always.

Susan