[Dailydrool] Dancing Dogs

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 15:28:50 PST 2009

Here are a few YouTube videos of dogs dancing. You can find more by
doing a search on YouTube for "dog freestyle."

When you watch these videos, keep in mind that backwards moves are
the most difficult for dogs to learn how to do. Initially they're not
comfortable going backwards and not being able to see where they're
going. They have to learn to trust their humans not to direct them
into danger, and we humans have to learn to remember to stop our dogs
before we back them into a wall or something. When backing away from
the human, the goal is for the dog to do so in a straight line, no
veering off on a diagonal from the human. This is a hard thing for a
dog to learn how to do, too.

By the way, our Elsinore is nowhere near as good as the dogs on these
videos. These dogs are professionals with a lot of competitive
experience.

"Carolyn Scott & Rookie," http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=HqbVbPvlDoM&NR=1, This one is like the gold standard of freestyle.
Carolyn Scott was one of our Elsinore's teacher's teachers. Rookie
died about a year ago or so, I believe of old age. I think this is my
favorite dog-dancing video because Rookie looks as if he's having a
blast out there, big grin on his face and everything.

"Gladiator Dog (canine freestyle)," http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=crmD_B8ERzk&NR=1, This one has a gladiator theme, and I think the
choreography is incredibly clever.

"France canine freestyle," http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Nca5jE2T_dE&NR=1, This one has a Russian folk dance theme.

Elizabeth