[Dailydrool] GGBR 63 bassets

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 12:14:29 PST 2009

Nelly Belle and I are so grateful to all those that have
made donations to GGBR's bassets.

For those of you that wonder about taking in a foster or
adopting a drooler from a large breeder closure, let me
tell you that the joy you receive from watching them blossom
in to a true basset is immeasurable.

When I first brought Nelly Belle home it was a struggle
just to get her in the front door.  She planted her feet
and I had to lift her in.  She immediately went to the first
hiding place she could find under the bed.  The first time
that she saw the wire time out crate she freaked out.  I can
still remember her shaking, cowering and crying out.  I had to
cover the crate with a blanket so she couldn't see it.

As for potty training well it really wasn't as difficult as a new buppy.
Yes it did take time and patience as well as taking off the dog door
flaps for a while but within a month she was potty trained and then
using the dog door.

Nelly Belle bonded with me very quickly and that is when the
separation anxiety started.  She was never destructive but
would and still does sing out when I leave the house.  Because
she is so short she stands on the chair arm so she can see out
the door window where she watches for me.  I know that she is
always happy to see me when I come in the door.   I still believe
that her anxiety is out of love. Strangers no longer scare her to the
point she runs or tries to crawl in my skin. As long as Momma is
close to her she willing accepts the love that they offer.

You just can't imagine the thrill I get when she picks up a toy
or engages in play with the other kidz.  Though kisses are still
infrequent I do get many snooter rubs.  I think my favorite part of the
day is when she gets up, goes potty, then crawls back into bed
and calls me in for one on one time for those many belly rubs and
snooter kisses (they are rubs but I call them her kisses).

Fourteen months has flown by.  Nelly Belle is a true basset now.
She is spoiled rotten with love and has my heart.  I believe that
Tucker (ATB) had a big paw in Nelly Belle becoming part of our
family.  I believe he knew that he would be journeying on soon
and he wanted Momma to have Nelly Belle to help ease the pain.

Karen and The Dog House Gang
GGBR Donations are still needed to help Nelly Belle's family as
well as fosters and adopters.
First Giving: http://www.firstgiving.com/ggbrfiftyhoundsappeal
PayPal:        treasurer at ggbassetrescue.org
Snail Mail:     Golden Gate Basset Rescue
                       POBox 4958
                       Petaluma, CA 94955
                        (707) 765-2690