[Dailydrool] Mr. Poopy String Butt

Vikki Kiehl vkiehl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:50:59 PST 2009

Ok... you all know that I just spent a couple grand on Hal's eye surgery,
right?
Yesterday Spencer started eating everything off the floor, hair, lint...
anything.  I dunno why he does it, almost acts like he's got something stuck
in his throat he's trying to get to go down.  (I've often wondered if its a
piece of my hair.)  Anyway, I usually feed him several pieces of bread &
that stops it.
Well, this morning I got up & Spencer had pooped all over the living room &
had about 8 to 10 feet of carpet string hanging out his butt.  I tried to
help him remove it, but unfortunately it wouldn't come out. Apparently in
his "eating frenzy" he pulled a very long string of carpet & scarfed it
right down without me knowing.  I cut off the majority of it & left a
"handle" for the vet (oh lucky her!).  I quickly fed Sara & Hal.  Then
hauled mr poopy string butt to the vet.  On the way there he started trying
to poop in the car... ok, so he didn't just try, he succeeded.  Luckily I
put comforters over the back of the car (hatchback) so its easier to clean.
So... I've got an 81lb basset pooping in the back of the little honda civic,
he's trying to get the string outta his butt & I'm trying to breathe & drive
the hour long drive to the vet.  No fun.
Luckily, the xray showed no accordioning (is that a word??) of his
intestines & at about 3 this afternoon he passed the last of it.  If he'd
had to have surgery to remove it... well... after Hal's eye surgery...  I'm
just glad it passed on its own & he's doing fine.  Which is really terrific
considering he's not the nicest dog.  Vet said to put him on a bland diet.
Do you know a diet more bland than carpet?
I'm so happy he's not going to need surgery.  Now I'm gonna kill him! <g>
Vikki
Spencer/Cujo, Sara Sue, Hal E Bear
Sebastian atb, Natasha atb