[Dailydrool] Biggie Adventure, almost

Linda H dirtherm2 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 15 09:01:23 PST 2009

Dewey has a "thing" for empty water bottles. He loves the crinkle when he bites them, and loves to bury them. When we walk the neighborhood on garbage days, he stops by every recycle bin and checks for water bottles. Iced tea bottles will not do. Just water bottles. He grabs it, scampers gleefully away, then looks for somewhere to bury his treasure. When there are leaves at curbside, or snow, there is no problem. He buries the bottle well. Otherwise, he stuffs it deeply as possible into someone's grass. I come along behind him and toss it into the next recycle bin we pass.

Yesterday, he was bored. Icy rain, slushy roads. I gave him a water bottle. Happy Day! He took it out back, on his tie-out, and looked for a good place in the gardens to bury it. After a bit, I heard him barking in the side yard. Not possible while on tie-out! Oh no! I looked out. Slack in his rope, no dog. Panic time. Putting on boots, I quickly found not only his water bottle buried, but also his collar, which had slipped over his head. He buried both. I now have a collar-less basset running around. Somewhere. Then I heard a bark. He was at the front door asking to come in!

I guess the icy rain was too much for him, even with total freedom.

The ugly weather continued, so a bored basset dug that bottle up, brought the muddy thing into the house, went straight to the front door, buried it in the snow out front, then later got it and reburied it out back somewhere. doG knows where it is buried right now! Maybe I will have a water bottle tree growing somewhere in the spring!

Time to get this beast out to the park before the next round of ugly weather gets here in a few hours.

Linda and Dewey (dogs gotta entertain himself on crappy days, Mom)