[Dailydrool] Kelvin's 1 year update, a few days late

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Tue Dec 15 20:48:51 PST 2009

12/12/09 marked 1 year from the date we brought home a skinny old basset
that was 20 pounds underweight and stank.  In the last year he has
gained his weight back, had his teeth cleaned and has been diagnosed
with CRF.  We adopted him instead of placing him up for adoption and he
has fit in very well here.  Our vet revised his age back last Feb from 9
to around 11.  We were given a grim outlook on his prognosis and were
told to be prepared to lose him by the end of the year.

Kelvin didn't agree with his prognosis and his last set of blood work
proved that he's almost normal as long as his on his home made food and
a few supplements.  He has surprised the vets and now that he's been
here a year and feels normal..... he's acting normal.  He now sits on
the couch and shivers, bouncing his head up and down funny, if it's
below 60 OUTSIDE, no matter what we have the temp set to inside.  And he
only does this when we look at him, otherwise he's fine.  Con artist at
work wanting a blanket and too lazy to get one himself.  He has to have
a rawhide at all times now, seriously, we have gone through several big
bags of the 4" square ones in just 3 months.  He has the 'poor pitiful
me' face perfectly practiced even though we don't give in.  And he's a
jealous little monster!  Any time I show any affection to anything else
in the house he will sulk or glare at us!   Like tonight I'm doctoring a
foster who just had all kinds of things removed from her hide and he's
on the couch, glaring.

He is still terrified of weight lifting equipment and pees himself if he
sees a baseball bat.  He still tries to run after every diesel truck he
hears.  Loves older men in a cowboy hat and boots.

Pics taken on the 3rd:
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/Dogs/DSCF4633b.JPG
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/Dogs/DSCF4617a.JPG

I think us pulling him was meant to be, there was a reason I had that
sinking feeling when I was sent his pic.  I think my other old man that
I lost back in September 2008 (11 year old maine coon cat, Topaz) was
telling me to fix it, make it right.  And make it right we did.

Carmen and herd