[Dailydrool] Eating Too Fast

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 19:33:21 PST 2009

I had a horse that ate too fast and choked on big gobs of oats. It meant I
had to jam my hand down his throat and grab it, or massage his throat. I
ended up putting huge cinders in his oat pan that he had to eat around,
slowed him down, and stopped the entire problem.
I imagine stopping a Basset from eating too fast would be solved pretty much
the same way--altho the muffin tin trick sounds excellent. You can also buy
puppy pans that have a hump in the middle, like an angel-food cake pan. That
slows them down also. So would huge cinders in their bowls, unless they're
like Conley and think rocks are to play with.
I find it fascinating the difference in the way dogs eat. Conley eats so
fast that he will knock the dish out of my hand as I put it in his crate.
Nigel is less fast but dives right in, Llewis hurries so he can bug Cooper
who is almost delicate in the way he eats.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper.