[Dailydrool] Electric fencing

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Sun Dec 27 06:35:30 PST 2009

I know Utah has more wild animals roaming around than Missouri does but we have had adopters with electric fencing and it works very well as long as the batteries in the collars do not go dead. We used to feel it was so important for an adopter to have a fenced yard until we met a man who had no fence but tons of love. I denied his application because he had no fence and he told me I am a great home, come see me and my dog. So I did do a home visit. He had a collie that would go out into the yard and not go out of his yard for anything. I told him a Basset follows their nose and gets lost. He said he would keep the Basset on a leash at all times he said lots of people with fences leave their dogs outside all day long because they know they are fenced in but without a fence we need to keep track and be responsible for our dog. They are kept inside when we are not home and leash walked when we are home. This made a lot of sense to me. There are people with Bassets in apartments who walk their dogs. This man was a very loving, responsible dog owner and his adoption has worked out well. A year later he adopted a second hound and when I went to take her to him the first basset was being walked around the yard on a leash she was very happy and I felt like I almost missed out on a great forever home.
Chris Bly   wmbri.org