[Dailydrool] no fenced yard

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Mon Dec 28 07:21:51 PST 2009

I don't want to have to be the devils advocate here.. but what kind of
example was that?

Ok, it was a cat that escaped ... but its exactly the sort of thing that is
trying to be prevented by rescues ... to give a higher assurance that a
hound they've invested time, money, kenneling, fostering, vetting, etc, etc,
etc ... into, and that they want to give that hound the best chance at a
forever home .... "forever" being that key operative word.

you folks that have invisible fencing and find it works well "most" of the
time ... good for you .. BUT ... there it is ...  "MOST" of the time ...
and as every time the subject comes up, there is someone that gives
evidence, or you have known, seen, heard, etc... stories of hounds (ANY dog)
that found a way to ignore the invisible fence!  Ignore, dead battery,
electricity out, left open the wrong area where there was no invisible
fence, etc...

How does that not register with people as "THIS IS A BAD IDEA!" ???  There's
only one instance I've heard of with a drooler that made sense with the
invisible fence .... they had a physical fence AND the invisible one, and
had the invisible fence wire inside the physical fence, which kept the dogs
OFF of the physical fence.

Again, physical fences help deter other animals from coming INTO the area

Physical fences offer more of a stopping measure for hounds getting OUT of
the area, anyone that doesn't check for digging spots is also asking to
loose their hound AND that digging gives you direct knowledge that you have
a Houndini in training, which AGAIN is more of a warning you'd get than when
the challenging hound decides to ignore or charge past the invisible fence!

A physical fence isn't going to stop someone from leaving the gate open, so,
you design around it ... our current fence HAS NO GATE, the only way for the
dogs to go outside the fenced area (other than dig) is to come THROUGH the
house.  The fence starts on one side, encompasses 80% of the back yard, and
ends on a corner of the house so that the fence doesn't need to have a gate,
no one in through a gate, no one lost out one by accident ... and even if
you have a fence now, with gates, you can lock them, you can spring load the
gate so it closes on its own and has a butterfly latch, etc..

Its never a perfect world, but I'd rather trust a physical fence, even for 5
seconds of deterrence, than trust that a scent hound will respect that
invisible boundary for 1 second!  And having a townhouse or apartment, there
you would expect the adopter would be a leash walker... what would an
apartment renter do otherwise? let the hound run the halls? doubtful that
would be allowed.

-Robert
AKA "The invisible fence hating robert"