[Dailydrool] Heartworm (slow kill)

Jaclyn Chancey jaclyn.chancey at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:34:17 PST 2009

We did slow kill for Jake, who was 9 years old and in otherwise poor
health (glaucoma, overweight, rotting teeth) in addition to the
heartworms when we adopted her from my parents. This is after firing
one vet who basically told me to make Jake comfortable for the time we
had left. (She also got the lifespan of an adult heartworm wrong. That
did NOT inspire confidence.)

Jake also showed no heartworm symptoms and was not crate trained. She
had her first treatment at the vet's office: one shot of ivermectin
(Heartgard) and I think prednisone in case of inflammation or other
reaction. After that, she went on a monthly Heartgard regimen. She
never had any heartworm symptoms and went to the bridge at the ripe
age of 14. Obviously I think we made the right choice for her!

The vet I used had actually been doing this for many years because he
was a country vet whose clients often wouldn't pay for the more
expensive treatment. It works in two ways: First, it kills off baby
and juvenile heartworms in the blood. The dog can't transmit
heartworms back into mosquitos AND it can't get any additional adults.
(Baby heartworms have to go to a mosquito and back into the same or
different dog before they will mature to adulthood. This keeps a
mating pair of heartworms from quickly overwhelming a single host.)
Second, according to my vet, some research indicates that the
Heartgard shortens the lifespan of the adult worms, which is only a
few years to begin with.

We never noticed any heartworm-related lethargy with Jake, but she was
a championship sleeper and altogether mellow hound anyway. Good luck
to Hamilton, and congratulations on your new family member!

Jaclyn, with Abbie & Josh and the cats