[Dailydrool] interceptor

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Feb 10 13:03:37 PST 2009

If you vet won't carry what you want to give your dogs, get a prescription from him and buy it on-line.  I too do NOT give my dogs flea and tick control year round.  I might buy a couple pills each of it, for the months of tick season, but we don't get fleas for some reason, so why treat for what you don't have? It is unnecessary, dangerous, and it is too damn expensive.  Tell your vet that if he won't give you a prescription that you will go to a vet who will. One of my vets would only sell me 3 days worth at a time of valium for Bubby when he was spine injured, so I got the scrip and bought the whole ten days worth at Wal-Mart for $6.00.

I personally use 4 different vets for different things, but then, I am broke and have to do most of my doctoring myself anyway.  I do my own shots except for rabies, treat my own ears, the rescue I support does my heartworm tests for cost, so they only see a vet when they are sick with something I can't manage on my own.  I have 6 dogs and a mortgage payment (now only a couple of weeks late YAY!), and I have to keep a roof over their heads and kibble in their bowls, so vetting for every little thing is out of the question.  Stewardship in the small things will help the big things sort themselves out with less effort!

Good luck with the heartworm pills!
Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!