[Dailydrool] Bridge hounds and hounds grieving

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Tue Feb 3 06:37:21 PST 2009

I missed reading my Drools for four days. When I finally got read, it seemed as if a busload of hounds had traveled to the Bridge. How awful to know that Uncle Chili and Pw. Jacques, long-time Drool legends, had exited this world. Then to hear of Harvey, so young to head Bridgeward.

We send belated condolences to all the slaves. The Dashing Bassets are slinging copious drool in their direction (and to the Jamboree slaves and their pack, who doubtless grieve the loss of Uncle Chili).

On the topic of grieving, a Drooler wrote:

<< They didn't mourn for her but for about a year if Barney would
see an old lemon and white he would perk up and go to see if it were her. As soon as he saw it wasn't her  his tail went down, head down and he would sadly walk back to us.>>

We got our cat Tuck off the streets, but I always suspected he was related to another similar-looking black and white cat I'd seen roaming a few blocks away--I never knew who the humans were. One day, maybe a year after Tuck went to the Bridge, Jane saw his look-alike and started whining. I think she thought we'd given Tuck away. It proved to me that they never real forget a pack member, even one of another species.

 <<Barney was too sick to stand when it was time for him to go to the bridge.  I allowed the other dogs to sniff him which they did and when we left for the vet and he did not return they did not seem to mourn- maybe the sniffing of his sick body helped them understand he was dying.>>

Our pack never seemed to miss Alexis, after we had to send her to the Bridge. I suspect they knew she had cancer. After all, can't dogs smell it in humans? She was just starting to be in pain when Drew and I let her go. I think they knew because they never looked for her or obviously grieved for her. Since Jane remembered Tuck, I can't think they've forgotten her, though.
Pam, with Drew, food slaves to the Dashing Bassets