[Dailydrool] A Cure for BHPS.....

L.K. Metzler toppogigio at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 22:34:53 PST 2009

I had a similar experience at my local Petsmart last spring.  There was a young man and a beautiful little 9 week old girl puppy, a very dark tri-colored girl with long silky black ears and a tiny white tip on her tail waiting at the Banfield Vetspital franchise inside our store.  I was wandering about with my monthly load of houndie food, treats, and toys, and came across the pair while they waited.  I chatted with the young man, asked about the puppy, did the Daily Drool spiel and gave him the web addy, and of course, loved on that sweet baby.  She was just tooooooo cute.  (Unfortunately, I found out that she had come from a local pet store...but I was nice and mentioned that if he should ever decide to find her a companion to contact the local rescue...) That was in May.

In July, a friend called me to let me know about a Basset puppy in the local shelter.  Well, of course, I couldn't just let that puppy sit in the shelter.  Something had to be done!  So, I went--with the firm plan in mind that as soon as I saw the puppy, I would snap a few photos and contact the local rescue.  I had no business with another dog, there were three at home already.  Uh-huh.  SURE.  I was dead meat before I even saw the dog.

By the time I'd seen the dog and taken the photos, there was about a 99.999 percent chance that she would never make it to the rescue, but would surely end up coming home with me.  The lady at the shelter knew it, my Mom knew it when she saw the photos, and somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew it but didn't want to admit it.  But bright and early the next morning, I'd been to Walmart and Petsmart for puppy things, and was waiting for the shelter to open so that I could "rescue" that baby and bring her home.  She was just tooooo cute to let anybody else have her.  She was mine, I was hers, and that was it.  The shelter lady just laughed and reminded me that the city ordinance allows me only four adult dogs....  I guess the next one will have to go to a rescue unless I can figure out how to have our house de-annexed again.

Little did I know that I was actually bringing home a baby Kangaroo in a Basset suit.  But we love her anyway, even if she does have an absolutely perfect first position ballet turnout to her front legs.  It has not slowed her down one bit.  She's almost 10 months old now, and is our great joy, and, well, sometimes our great terror as she shreds yet another cardboard box or box of kleenex or leaps her way around the room for the 99th time in an hour.

Is there a cure for BHPS??  DoG, I hope not!!!!!!!!  I don't know about a cure, but the recommended treatment is to adopt a puppy (they're all "puppies" in my book) from wherever you find one in need of a home.

Uh, what color should our awareness ribbon be, anyway??

Lisa Metzler

Penelope, Jasmine, Pelly, and Addie-Lou Roo, the Baby Kangaroo Ballerina Basset

L.K. Metzler
San Marcos, TX
toppogigio at yahoo.com

"A dog wags its tail with its heart." - Martin Buxbaum

"If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one." -- Andy Rooney