[Dailydrool] "The Toast Ritual"

Sue Stevens suestevens at woh.rr.com
Sat Feb 7 06:08:41 PST 2009

Hello all - I haven't been following things for about a month so I've
a lot to catch up on. Drool to all in need. We are so blessed to have
the sweet, wonderful houndie we do... he gives us such joy just to
look at him! Onslow just got settled into his squishy chair/bed where
he can survey most of the first floor. He knows I'll be at the
computer for a while now.

I wanted to share a special time that Onslow and I have nearly every
Saturday morning. I've named it "The Toast Ritual." Now I don't
always have toast on Saturdays, but when I do Onslow knows it's time.
I take down the toaster from it's spot on top of the refrigerator and
plug it in on the island counter. He's on the alert and watching. I
open the frig and get out the whole wheat bread I like and the inner
wrapper crackles. He tilts his head and licks his chops. I get out
the butter. The drool begins. (Sometimes I might delay the whole
process by putting on the tea kettle so I can have a nice cup of tea
as part of the ritual for me. Onslow doesn't care about tea - not
even if the kettle whistles loudly.)

The bread goes in and the smell of it warming up and toasting is very
obvious to Onslow. His noise is working like crazy. I wait for the
sound of the little seeds cracking which is my signal it's done. I'm
sure Onslow hears that sound too, but I'm focused on getting that
lovely toasty slice of wheat bread adequately buttered. He has taken
his place plastered up against the table leg at my end of the table,
fairly quivering with excitement at the thought, the sensation, the
taste of "toast."

I sit down with my plate - and perhaps my cup of tea if I timed
things right - and Onslow sidles right up to my leg and plants
himself there, back legs sort of sprawled to the side the way basset
hounds do. And he waits. Ever so patient without even a whimper. He
knows it will come. The drool is hanging now of course, but he is so
fixated he won't even toss his head to let it fly.

I quickly get him a crust to kill the suspense. He carefully takes it
- never grabs - and chews it up in a second. I eat some more,
planning how I consume the rather small piece of toast so that the
optimum number of crusts can be salvaged for the hound at my feet. In
less than 5 minutes, it's over.

Onslow isn't convinced. He can still smell it. I sometimes have to
show him the plate - but then he wants to lick the crumbs. "All
gone," I tell him. Then he's satisfied and he'll trundle off to one
of his favorite spots to nap... and to dream of an endless stream of
toast crusts coming from my finger tips.

regards to all - snooters & bellyrubs... and toast crusts to those
who enjoy them,

Sue Stevens