[Dailydrool] Miss Angela, and thoughts on housetraining

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 16:16:27 PST 2009

I loved the image of Miss Angela trying to organize the "day campers" into amateur theatrical productions of light opera.  My Harley does the same thing at the dog park sometimes, and I had never realized before that it might have some purpose other than jubilant self-expression!

Over the years with dogs, including the two bassets that currently share my home, I have found that establishing scheduled potty breaks that the dogs can count on really helps. I take my boys out for three walks on leashes a day--8 AM. 3PM, and 8PM.  Each walk is for about a half hour and serves the purpose of totally emptying out the dogs. Bo lets me know about 5 minutes before each scheduled break that the time is approaching. Although we have a doggie door which allows the dogs 24/7 access (and they do use it in the middle of the night), the dogs count on the walks for throrough emptying out. When I worked outside the home days, back when we had two scotties and no fenced yard or doggie door, I walked the dogs before work and before bedtime and hired a neighborhood child to do the afternoon walks.  Knowing that the hour for pottying was approaching and was reliable, the scotties were able and willing to hold on until then and between breaks. Dogs
 have a great internal clock, as all of you who feed your dogs at particular clock-times are sure to know.