[Dailydrool] Easily digestible food for the dogs

Anita Woodrum a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 8 18:25:44 PST 2009

Seems like we've had quite a few dogs with digestive problems lately, so I
hunted up an article from Bottom Line Secrets that I read a while back.
Here's the URL:
http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/article.html?article_id=47115

It's about an Asian people food called "Jook" or "Congee" which is basically
a rice porridge (thick soup) that you can make in the crockpot using just
rice and water, then add whatever meats, veggies and seasonings you want.
I've always wanted to cook for the dogs but never had time, and this article
got me going - after all, chicken and veggies and rice is what the Vet
always says to feed them if they have gastric problems because it's very
easily digestible, and even I can take the time to throw some rice and water
in the crockpot before leaving for work.  I have a big lidded container that
goes in the refrigerator to store the extra jook in, then heat it for them
in the evening, we usually pour it over a little dry dog food but you could
serve it without, and my girls absolutely love it, even picky Miss Holly.
We tear the meat into lots of very small pieces, and have used cooked
chicken, turkey, leftover beef roast, pork roast, ham, and even hot dogs!
They like it with carrots, or peas and carrots, green beans, and their most
favorite is with broccoli.  No, I'm not making that up, they love broccoli.
Anyway, my girls love it, it's very easy to make and a batch lasts for
several days, and I'd recommend trying it.  Highly recommended by the Mama,
Gracie and Holly (but not the kitties, they think it's nasty).

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net