[Dailydrool] Westminster & "Royal English Hunting Dogs"

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 11:59:56 PST 2009

We were thrilled this morning that they covered Stumpy's win on our local
news! Crispin, our Sussex Spaniel (probably mix of Sussex & Cocker) was
especially attentive! The hounds, of course, find it funny that our ornery
old guy was so attentive to Stumpy, the old man spaniel, but hey, let him be
happy for a couple days, right? (We keep trying to assure him that Stumpy is
NOT his cousin!)

And, much to the amusement of my family, last night a co-worker called Joey
a "Royal English Hunting Dog!" Don't tell him, it'll go to his head! We have
a new co-worker, from Germany, who's now at our office daily, and I told him
I was bringing my Basset Hound to work today, as it's slow, and he didn't
know what a Basset Hound was! I said it had short legs, and log ears, and
was a french hunting dog, and he said "No, they're English! They're Royal
hunting dogs! The Queen uses them to do the royal hunts!" I can only assume
that he was thinking of Fox Hounds? (Is there any truth to this?)

So, after attempting not to laugh (Joey, a royal hunting dog! Only if the
game is cheeseburgers!!) I brought Joey in today, he took one look at him
and said "oh, maybe he is of the French Hunting Dogs, he's too big to be the
English variety!" I just cracked up! Joey's a big, smooshy, mutant houndie!
I know he's MUCH bigger than a "normal" basset, that's most of why he was in
rescue in the first place!

So, next time someone asks about the "big beagles" tell them "No, they're
Royal English Hunting Dogs!!" and see their reaction! Perhaps some of the UK
droolers could correct me if they are actually used there for fox hunts, but
I thought they were more of a rabbit hunter, to be hunted on foot with.
Still, I found it amusing! I mean, if you're going to be mistaken for a
different breed, why not something that sounds that regal, right?!

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey, Aunty to Checkers & Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473