[Dailydrool] Heartworm Information

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 13:04:38 PST 2009

A mosquito does not have to bite an infected dog. It may nibble on an
infected squirrel, rabbit, fox, coyote, cat, wolf, seal lion, or a dozen
others. Once the microfilaria are in the mosquito they take approximately 10
DAYS to 2 weeks to become larva at which point they are shed when the
mosquito bites Fifi. The larvae migrate into the dog where during the next 3
months they migrate through the tissue to the heart. Six months later, they
are adults, in the heart. If male and female larva are present, they begin
reproducing and your dog becomes not only infected but a walking infection
source for the entire neighborhood.

I had a cat nearly die from Leukemia vaccine but that means I do not give
that cat that vaccine again, not that all cats will almost die from the
vaccine, or that the vaccine is faulty. It meant that one cat out of, what,
ten thousand? had a reaction to it that was negative.
Use some logical thinking here. One bad reaction does not mean the entire
stock is bad. It MIGHT, but that has to be proven first.

We have people tell us that they do not need heartworm preventative because
they have a fence.
Keeping dogs in at dawn and dusk is fine, so long as you have NO MOSQUITOES
in the house ever, and that there are NO MOSQUITOES in your yard at any
other time of the day. Good luck. You've been really really lucky so far in
my opinion.

I'll continue to spike my luck with Heartguard.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper whose lives I prefer not to
gamble with.