[Dailydrool] Finicky eating

Sarah sarah.moore1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 14 06:13:08 PST 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!  My day started listening to Penny's tummy rumble
loud enough to wake the neighborhood.

I would have to respectfully disagree with anyone who says NO dog will
starve itself; Penny will.  She will go 24 to 36 hours without eating if
there is nothing she considers tasty on offer. She will get to the point
that she is so hungry that she won't even eat cheese or chicken.  At that
point I have to shove dextrose tablets down her throat to break the cycle.
I have tried pretty much every kibble out there - she will have nothing to
do with any of them and won't eat any kind of dog biscuit or treat either.
Rachel Ray's nutrish (soaked in vegetable stock) gave her a skin yeast
infection! I spent $700 at the vet last week on x rays and blood work to be
told that her finicky eating habits have given her an ulcer.  Now the pooch
is on pepcid and antibiotics.  The past week the vet said she should only
have rice and cooked chicken to give her stomach a chance to settle.  This
morning she decided she had enough of that and is now sleeping and rumbling.
One of us is going to end up on Prozac - I suspect it will be me.

Sarah