[Dailydrool] Basset Hound in Shelter At Risk for Euth. D/T Aggression

Valerie and John Epps eppsval26 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 07:51:14 PST 2009

Hi everyone,
I'm working with local rescues on helping this Basset Hound get out of the shelter but unfortnately due to the overwhelming number of Bassets coming in most of the rescues are full and this is such a unique situation that not just anyone will be able to foster or adopt this girl.  So this is my last stitch effort to save her.
She is young, around 1 to 3 years old, tri-color, cute face, nice coat, nice eyes.  She is too thin at the moment and she was picked up as a stray.  She's been in the shelter for 9 days and she is scared to death (I can't even imagine my dogs ending up there they would be freaking out too).  She growls if you come near her kennel and if you persist she runs to the back of the kennel and curls up in a ball.  If you keep going she will growl and snap at you.  Maybe she was previously abused?  Once she was out on a leash she did better but she still was so scared she would snap.
I thought I would take a chance to see if any droolers are capable of handling this situation and not afraid of being bit?  She may turn out to be a wonderful Basset once she's out of that place?  I'm not sure?  I have some photo's if you are interested.  I don't have much time to figure this out.
Hope to hear from you :)

 Valerie Epps