[Dailydrool] grandpa mitchell

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Fri Feb 20 15:03:44 PST 2009

Our pack is generating drool for grandpa Mitchell.  Our pack knows
about bad backs.  It's been several years since we have had to deal
with one, but over the years we have had several hounds who went down for
a while or forever.  We have hooks in the wall in the dining room for
the attachment of a fence-in-the-house for the disabled hound.

One thing we have learned is to never give up hope.  Years
ago Deuce (grandma to Purple and Miles and Blossom and that crew) wnet
down in the rear.  we treated her in our usual way with crate rest
and steroids, and she made a full recovery.  Some time later, she
went down again.  After she had been down for several months with no
improvement despite our usually successful treament, the vet told us it
had been too long.  there was no more hope of her walking
again.  He said she had very good upper (forward?) body strength and
was a good candidate for a cart.  We ordered a cart, and Wheelie-Girl
was born.  She took to that cart like a duck to water, but she still
liked to be out of it to scoot around the house on her paralyzed
bottom.  Severall months later, I ahd her out of her cart and
scooting about the basement while I did laundry or something, when Deuce
stood up!  and then RAN across the room to me!.  Granted, she
then fell over.  But what a wonderful shock!  She got gradually
stronger, largely through using her cart to bear her weight while she
bagan to use her back legs to help walk, until she was able to give up the
cart completely.  It was wonderful.

So if the hound in
question has a good attitude, a good appetite, and some control of bladder
and bowels, we don't give up.  Ever.

crazy basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:

Rebec Bassets at www.rebecbassets.com
(
http://my.execpc.com/~rebec/ )
Basset Buddies Rescue, Inc. at