[Dailydrool] Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama has 16 puppies!!!

Elizabeth A. Kolenich lizzkolenich at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 15:01:48 PST 2009

Thought I would share with you all how BHRA came to have 16 puppies in our
care!!

Bella - Named due to her belly.

She came to us from the Moody area where she was loose for at least 3 weeks
and hanging around a nice families home who brought her to us (1/19/09).
She is between 2-3 years old and when we received her into our care her
belly was touching the floor.  She was miserable and just days away from
delivering.  She went into labor in the wee morning hours of January 24th
and was discovered by my mom who made a surprise visit from Ohio to Alabama.
She went to the vet within an hour of us watching her labor progress and it
was apparent she was in distress.  Once at the vets and x-rayed, it was
established that she was going to have six puppies that were way to long for
her to birth.  The xray also showed that she had a fractured pelvic which
alone would have made it impossible for her or the puppies to survive
without a c-section.

She went right in for a c-section and gave birth to six beautiful puppies, 3
boys & 3 girls.  One had a hard time out of the womb and it took a lot of
extra attention and love for him to pull through.  Nudder Butter, Dutch,
Doc, Buttercup, Freckles & Nickie (Dr. nicked her during c-section) were
born on January 24th at approx. 1pm.

Daphne - Named after Daphne on Scooby Doo because they both had red hair.

She was found by a family in the Gardendale area who would have loved to
keep her but couldn't so they contacted us.  She was brought it (just days
after Bella 1/22/09) and looked like she had swallowed two basketballs.  She
is also between 2-3 years old and as big as she was we thought she was going
to deliver on the spot.  She ended up holding out a little longer and after
Bella's puppies were born we took Daphne in for an x-ray just to be sure.
They found she was carrying 10 puppies and everything appeared to be in
order for her to deliver on her own.  Little did we know she was still a
week away from delivering and the puppies grew even bigger.  She went into
labor on 1/31/09 and started to display signs of distress.  The pregnancy
and labor proved to be too much for her and off we went to the vets for the
second Saturday in a row for an emergency c-section.  She gave birth to 10
beautiful and unique looking puppies at approximately 1pm.

Daphne had 7 boys and 3 girls with two very special cases.  Again, one puppy
was having a difficult time (more so than Bella's) and it was a struggle to
keep him alive but he pulled through.  The other was born with a deformity
and has a front club foot but has good circulation to it and should be okay
throughout his adult life with it.

The puppies were named as follows.

Males:

Gus, Nick, Tate, Wizzer, Winslow, Abbott (Clubbed paw - Named after Jim
Abbott, famous baseball player who only had one hand), Tyson (The one who
had a tough time to start and he is a fighter).

Girls:

Kahlua, Lyla & Liberty

Pictures of the puppies and their moms are posted at www.bhra.org

Lizz Kolenich
 <mailto:lizzkolenich at yahoo.com> lizzkolenich at yahoo.com
205-739-9418

Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama
Trustee, Adoption/Intake Coordinator & a PROUD Foster Mom/Failure
 <http://www.bhra.org> www.bhra.org