[Dailydrool] Extreme obedience

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Sun Feb 22 18:47:15 PST 2009

I started a basic obedience class with Kahuna today, thinking a refresher was called for. The good news is that with the treats, he was making copious drool to send to ease the hearts of all those who have sent houndies to the Bridge and for all the houndies who need drool for other reasons.

The first class was mostly instruction for the humans, but we ran through a few things just to see where everyone was starting. Kahuna actually started pretty well and will sit when requested and does indeed know his name. Then we moved to down. The other dogs did a nice "down", settling in place. There were a couple of new adoptions learning from scratch, but they, too, quickly seemed to get the idea. Then, there was Kahuna, who laid his head down sideways, almost on the treat in my hand, and rolled over (doing a full somersault) ending up on his back in perfect belly rub position after slurping up the treat mid roll. This maneuver was repeated over and over, much to the amusement of the class. I never once got him to do a classic "down" with belly on the ground, head and back up on top. I've decided it's actually a more advanced move and call it a "down with a rolling half twist". None of this boring obedience stuff for The Big Kahuna. Let's take it up a notch and do Extreme Obedience! I can't wait to see what he works out for next week.

Drool and prayers to all who have lost houndies - been there way too often myself in the last few months.

Synthia
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna (Kowabunga!), Pearl
Ace, Maya, Sage (I start school this week too)