[Dailydrool] Nelly Belle and The Dental Bone

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Tue Feb 24 09:48:20 PST 2009

We were in great need for some smiles in this house and so
Nelly Bell came through for us.   Maybe it will help others to
also smile as well.

So the story goes......

I gave the kidz there weekly dental bone yesterday.
Poor Nelly Belle only gets a 1/2  and then being the well
trained slave, I soak it in warm water to soften it a bit.
I know, I know.... it defeats the purpose but I take pity
on my senior sweetie.  She does have 10 teeth
less on the top she she came to live with us in October.
 She also is always separated from the other kidz so they don't
steal her food and treats because she eats so slow.
Anyroo, she must have decided that she would save it for later.

First she tried to hide in under the phone jack that sits
about 4 inches off the floor in a corner.  She quickly figured out
it wasn't really hidden even though she has managed to
turn the bone on it's side and push it into the space.
She checked it a few times before deciding this was
not a safe place.  Next she hides it under the entry rug.
She must have remember that Sadie Maye sniffed it
right out the last time she hid a treat there so that lasted
about 2 minutes.  She then goes for the long window
scarf that pools on the floor. She pulls and tugs and gets
it just right....then nope she has to find some place else.
Again she must have remembered that Sadie's nose is young
and in top sniffing condition.
one of the many dog beds.  Nope not good enough.  I
wonder if she was worried about someone tailpipe
bomb blowing the bone's cover?  She then climbs up on the firewood Moving on she hides it under
sitting it log holder and tries to bury it under a piece
of wood. That was hard work...much to hard for a little basset with
short legs.  Hmmmm where to put it so the others don't steal it.
Ahhhh haaaa. The cat carrier with the soft towel in the bottom. Now
Nelly is a little short thing but I never would have thought she
could wiggle half of her body into that carrier.  (I was so afraid that
she would get stuck.  I could just imagine rushing to the vetspital
with the carrier and half a basset with the tailpipe area sticking out
while the gas bombs were blasting out from her being carried.)
After checking it many times and testing to make sure that none of
the other taller droolers or Ruby Doo could get in her hiding place
she nosed the door closed and decided it was all good. Success.
Her dental bone remains safely hidden in the carrier and the other
girls are none the wiser.  Nelly Belle must not be too worried
about Teeka and Gregor snitching her bone.  Of course she now will
have the "scented" dental bone when she is ready to chomp on it again.

Droolz to all that need it,
Karen and The Dog House Gang
Ruby Doo, Abby Gale, Sadie Maye, Nelly Belle, Teeka, Gregor, Cuddles
with my forever angel and baby boy, Tucker (ATB)