[Dailydrool] Playing Fetch

Mary Lee Trnka mltrnka at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:45:16 PST 2009

Our Tucker, age almost 11, came to us as a puppy.  We never taught him "fetch"; he figured it out all on his own, and he loved it.  We would throw a tennis ball down the yard, and he would run after it, full force, skidding to a stop.  Then he would bring it back to us.  He never just dropped it, though. . .you had to wrestle him for it.  When you had it, he would get all excited about going after it again.  If you didn't throw it fast enough, he would bark at you.

He would repeat this about 4 or 5 times.  When he got too tired, he would only come half-way back.  If you went after him, he'd snatch up the ball, and run away so you couldn't take it from him.

Also, if you bounced it, he could catch it on the fly.  Actually, he can still catch treats on the fly.  This is really amazing, since he has a pretty severe overbite - his bottom jaw is about 1.5 inches shorter than his snooter.

We've tried throwing treats to Philby - they bounce off his head. . .

Mary Lee