[Dailydrool] Bel's abscess surgery

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Fri Feb 27 11:56:56 PST 2009

Thank you so much for all the drool flung in Bel's direction.

I hauled him off to the vet's at a ridiculously early hour of the morning (well, for me anyway). Right away Bel knew something was going on. He didn't want to be separated from me and howled as long as I was in the office.

When I got home, Jane gave me a very disapproving look, making it clear that she did not like being separated from her pal. We had a very quiet morning.

When I called the vet at noon, I could hear Bel howling in the background. He was probably having hallucinations about his past homes, according to Drew, as the anesthesia wore off. The vet requested that we come two hours earlier than he'd originally scheduled Bel's pickup--no one liked listening to the operatic howls. But by the time we got there, Bel was quiet. The drug still had a powerful affect on him, but he could walk under his own power.  Bel knew who to blame for his pain and rubbery legs: He wouldn't look at me at all. (So much for the behaviorist who said Abner couldn't be blaming me for his back surgery!)

When we got home, Jane rushed up to greet her favorite pack mate and all was well. Bel hopped up on the couch and snoozed. At dinnertime, he had no interest in eating. Like a good slave, eventually I ended up giving him some of the ground beef I'd bought to wrap his antibiotics in (thanks, Carmen, for that idea--it really worked with this fussy pill taker). He scarfed down the beef with no trouble and seemed perkier afterward.

This morning he was pretty much his old self, though I'm sure his mouth is still at least a bit sore. But he ate with no fuss. By tomorrow he should feel pretty good, according to the vet.

One root had been almost totally destroyed by the bacteria--there was a lot of black goop there and not much root. The vet figures this has been going on for some time, but Bel gave no indication of it. Because he didn't have as much trouble getting part of the tooth out, the surgery cost a bit less. But we're hoping he got all the bits of tooth out, because if he didn't, he'll have to go back in and do it again. Don't stop slinging that drool, please.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets