[Dailydrool] longhairs

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Fri Jan 16 15:08:51 PST 2009

While I agree wholeheartedly that longhaired bassets are about as adorable
as it gets, I don't agree that bassets with slightly longer hair around
the neck have a touch of longhair in them.  For one thing, that'snot
now genetics work.  Either you inherited the recessive longhair gene
from both parents adn are a long hair, or you didn't and  you're
not.  Bassets sometimes do just seem to have longer hair around the
neck and "shawl".  My theory is that it is added protection
in case of an attack by a beast that tries to bite the neck.  Just my
theory.

Basset coats can do all kinds of weird things.
Our Mr. Pimpernoodle (16 months old, 14 points towards his championship
including both majors, so he's no slouch) had the most bizarre coat when
he was younger.  He had an enormously thick undercoat and the guard
hairs were a bit longer than usual, sort of like those longer neck
hairs.  Because of the thick undercoat, his coat didn't lay flat like
a basset's coat.  It stood off from his body like the coat of an
akita or maybe a malamute.  I liked the rest of him, so I kept him to
see what that coat would do.  When he went through his major molt in
about April when he was about 7  mnonths old, he lost all that weird
coat and what grew in was a nice flat shiney basset coat, several shades
darker than when he started.  I'm curious to see what kind of winter
coat he grows this winter.  I hope it's a normal basset collection of
underfluffies.  I don't want to see his lovely coat turn back into an
akita.

crazy basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:
Rebec Bassets at
www.rebecbassets.com
( http://my.execpc.com/~rebec/ )
Basset