[Dailydrool] Ear Biters?

Emily W. Dodd emily0608 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 17:30:48 PST 2009

This might sound weird, but does anyone out there have a hound who
accidentally bites his or her ears?

Let me explain my theory. Last weekend, my parents and my sister were
hound-sitting Sally for the day while hubby and I went to a wedding.
When they brought her home, my sister explained that Sally had somehow
nicked the tip of her right ear and was bleeding for a bit but it
finally scabbed over. No problem, she's fine.

A few days later, Sally was rough-housing in her crate with one of her
toys when we heard a frightened yip and she came running to us. She
looked fine and I checked the crate and didn't see anything wrong, so
we thought she was just being her crazy Sally self. Earlier today, the
same thing happened -- she was playing in her crate and she yipped and
ran out. Tonight we had dinner at my parents' house and Sally was
chewing on her nylabone like a good girl when we were eating out meal.
After dinner, my husband noticed what looked like a spot of blood on
her nose. We then noticed little drops of blood on the floor and I saw
that her ear was bleeding again ...

All signs seem to be pointing to her repeatedly biting her ear when
she's playing/chewing on toys! I haven't noticed this when she eats,
but she's also very still and focused on her bowl at meal times. When
she's playing and chewing on her bones, she does just that -- she
jumps around and shakes and plays and her ears could easily flop into
her mouth, and she could also accidentally bite herself as she's
pouncing on and viciously sneak-attacking her Bobo.

Does anyone else have a hound who does this? Does it sound like a
reasonable explanation for the yipping and ear bleeding? I just want
to know that I'm not the only one with a bozo hound :-)

Happy New Year and drool to all!
Emily and SallyBeans the ear-muncher