[Dailydrool] what to do

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 2 20:17:31 PST 2009

My neighbor's dog Mya (the one that "attack" Speedy on Christmas) has figured out that when Speedy goes on his walk to jump her fence.  She goes with the purpose to meet Speedy. I don't know if just to sniff behinds or really to pick a fight.  She is an Akita and has a very intimatidating bark. Speedy barks back and will show his pearly whites, but is really scared to death of her.  He freezes when I let go of his leash so he can run into the house well I hold Mya back. He doesn't move an inch toward her or away from her.  He only moves when I hold the leash.

Mya has jumped the fence before and I always go back and ring the bell at the neighbors.  When the owner of the house is not in and one of the tenants answers Mya refuses to go into the house.  So the stupid tenants leave her on the porch - no leash, just out loose where she can still wander get into it with another dog or hit by a car. The owner has tried to block the fence but Mya is smart and has figured out how to jump the block and the fence. Clearly the neighbors don't get it and aren't doing enough to prevent the dog from jumping out.

My problem is that Mya is a wonderful dog, she is sweet and playful and has a rotten life with the neighbors but not enough for animal control to take action.  The LA animal shelter strives not to be a high kill shelter but an Akita doesn't really have a chance there.  I'd hate to see her run the risk when she deserves so much better.  Now Speedy and I can't go on walks here. I had originally thought if I walk Mya and Speedy together but I need an extra hand for that and the DH isn't around when we do go on walks. I just don't know what to do. I've talked to the neighbors about her but in one ear out the other. I wonder if I could "dognap" her when she is out lose, but where would I take her?

Nancy momslabe to
Speedy Speed Demon of the West OEBE
Ted (ATB)