[Dailydrool] Help

Kathie Goblirsch Bookwyrm at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 21:28:30 PST 2009

Carol Evans wrote:

> Does anyone out there have a Basset hound that has Addison's Diease?
> My Abby has it and has been doing GREAT its my vet that is a problem
> in the last 9 months he has more then tripled the price of her
> _monthly_ shot. We have gone from $36.00 to $106.00  I just can't
> affprd this it would cost me more then $1200.00 dollars a year just
> for her shot that doesn't include the meds and special dog food and
> that doesn't include the regular stuff.  I can't decide weather I'm
> being taken or it for really I'm going to start Monday looking for a
> new vet but I have to call my vet back to find out the name or the
> meds in the shot so I can ask another vet.  I was wondering weather if
> anyone else has a Basset with Addison's what they do to control it?
> I really hope someone can help me.
> Abby and Mom

Our Gabby has had Addison's for almost two years now.  And, yes, the
monthly injections are expensive.  The shot is given according to the
dog's weight -- so, the heavier the dog, the more Percorten-V they need.
Gabs got her last one on Dec. 30 -- she was weighed at 59.6 lbs. and the
injection was 1.40 ml(??).  The cost per ml(??) is $53.75.  So her total
cost was $75.25.  Our vet doesn't charge for the vet tech's time, thank
heavens!  On the other hand, her daily prednisone pill is dirt cheap.
Note: Percorten is only available in the U.S.  Dogs in other countries
(Canada, for example) are given different meds -- Florinef, for one.
There is a group for owners of Addison's dogs on Yahoo Groups here:
Some of those owners have persuaded their vets to let the owners buy the
Percorten online (needs a prescription) and give the shots themselves.
It saves *some* money.
Another big expense is the lab tests to see if the dog's sodium and
potassium levels are being controlled properly.  I try to do those about
twice a year.
Gabby doesn't have any special food requirements.

Hope this info helps.

Kathie G