[Dailydrool] spay, puppy food, diet in general

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 4 12:13:26 PST 2009

Had not had a girl dog in 12 years til Hannah Lee Dawg came our way last year from Basset Rescue of Florida.  She had been very ill with Parvo (dumped at the vet to die) so we adopted her intact and signed a contract we would spay her at 6 months.  I found her slight discomfort kept her quiet for about a day and a half and then she was her old self again.  We had a bit of trouble with her licking the incision and it did get quite inflamed - I was surprised the vet did not send her home on antibiotics in the first place.  We had to go back at day #4 to get some.  12 stitches in a very long incision so at day #10 I took the outside two stitches out and then I took out one a day for a week remembering how I felt after a C-Section when I felt like my guts were going to fall out when my staples were removed - I did hers very gently over a week's time.

I usually keep my guys on puppy food for a year but then switch right to senior or lite to keep weights low (at about 18 months)  We feed Flint River Ranch which is the absolute best - contact me by e-mail if you want more info).  No fat Bassets at this house!  We mix a bit of brown rice or no sodium green beans in with dinner and they have straight kibble for breakfast.  All my guys seem to hover around 50 lbs - altho I have a big 62 lb boy, Duffy, and 7 month old Pete is already almost 50 lbs so he is going to be a big boy.  14 year old Charles and 17 month old Hannah Lee both weigh about 48 lbs.

GinnyTata-Phillips, author of DOGKU and PETKU