[Dailydrool] Breakfast and cuddles

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 05:11:43 PST 2009

Miss Shelby has been here since Friday night and is fitting in pretty well.  She has comandeered the donut bed in front of the TV as hers and no one else seems to care.  She is very sweet and wants to eat or have her belly rubbed all the time.  She is a true chow hound in that she hasn't met a food she doesn't like.  I am not used to bassets who will eat anything.  My girls and boy have all been picky to some extent.  None have liked fruit or vegetables except for fries.  Apparently Shelby eats anything and it shows.  At least where ever she was before, she was not deprived of food.  Water, maybe.  She drank the entire bowl this morning when she got up.  She also tried to eat Maggie's breakfast but Maggie must have grown some backbone because Maggie pushed her back and ate it herself.

All of the houndage is in the family room with me fast asleep.  Usually the DH gets up and feeds the girls or part of them at 5AM.  Ninja has a built in alarm that goes off at 5 and she wants her breakfast right then.  Marley likes to get up early too but is not as insistent.  I just can't drag myself out of bed that early.  Ninja goes downstairs, goes out, gobbles down her breakfast, and runs back up to bed to give me a dogfoody kiss before curling up under the covers next to me.  She is such a creature of habit and this is such a sweet one.  She puts her cold little nose on me and goes back to sleep even if it is only for al little while.  She is a mama's girl.  She is on the couch with me right now, keeping a whisker or two on me so if I move she will too.

Josh, our oldest son, came home yesterday for dinner and brought the kitties.  Shelby, apparently, is not fond of kitties.  She is too slow to catch them but tried anyway.  Marley also got snippy with them so there was some chasing and hiding going one.  Four bassets is a lot to ask two kitties to put up with.  They all tolerated each other for a few hours but everyone is happy now that the kitties are gone, including the kitties.  I am not a cat person but these are two of the most beautiful cats, if boys can be called beautiful, that I have ever seen.  They were Humane Society kittens and Josh has raised them since they were tiny.  I'm proud that he would take on the responsibility and stick with it.

Miss Shelby is adjusting well and seems to like it here.  The one problem she has with the house is that she cannot climb stairs.  She is by far the shortest basset we have ever seen.  Even if she were a younster, I don't think she would be much of a climber.  We have the ramp at the back door which Sunny used and it's like it was made for Shelby.  She is supposed to be 13 but doesn't look it.  Sunny was 13 or, so we thought, but she looked twice as old as Shelby does.  Shelby moves slow because she is a bit on the chunky side.

I am just rambling right now.  Got up too early or something.

We are sending snooters and heart healing drool to all those who have lost a furend or have one under the weather.
Ninja, Marley, Maggie, Shelby(the foster) with Sassy, Daisy, Sherlock, and Sunny ATB and the mom