[Dailydrool] Nigel and the Jalapeno...and what to do about "cardboard deficiency"?

L.K. Metzler toppogigio at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 21:26:51 PST 2009

Oh, Nigel---tell your mama that you need something with milk in it to help the burning in your mouth.  Ice cream, sour cream, yogurt...anything like that will help cut the fire and make your mouth feel a lot better.  Water just can't cut the capsaisin oil that comes out of the pepper, but the milky substance will coat it.  I'm surprised you ate that nasty thing!!  OW!!  How's your tummy??

My Dad's Boxer, Tristan, used to eat wasabi (green horseradish), but he loved it---especially when spread on *his* portion of the sushi.  Tristan ate whatever my Dad did (just about everything--both of them seemed to have cast iron stomachs), and I am surprised that he survived to the grand old age of 10 before succumbing to mouth cancer.  He LOVED fruit of all kinds (yes, Dad let him eat the occasional grape...) and thought watermelon and cantaloupes were the best.  He and my Dad shared an apple every night--right down to the seeds.  Tristan did get into some Hershey's Kisses one time, but did not seem to have any ill-effects.  (Those of you who are cringing, please note, I TRIED to tell Dad that some of those things were not exactly dog-safe foods, but to no avail....)  The only time Tristan ever got sick was when he ate plain kibble...go figure!!

On another tack, Addie-Lou Roo, the Cardboard Box-eating Baby Kangaroo Basset seems to have a cardboard deficiency in her diet....  She has consumed two paper boxes of late.  I suspect that she may be teething again (do puppies still teethe at 9 months???)and has a gazillion chew toys--even the ones designed for teething puppies--to play with, yet she chooses my storage boxes under my desk with nary a guilt pang.  I tried saturating the boxes with spray-on Bitter Apple, but she licked it off.  She likes it, darned dog.  (Reminds me of a horse I had that licked the anti-chew stuff off the fences...)

I am feeding her pumpkin and unsalted green beans on an alternating basis, so I don't think she is lacking fiber in her diet, but I am puzzled.  Any suggestions?  I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow for some Tabasco sauce to see if maybe she won't chew that.  I may have to buy a jar of jalapenos and use the juice from them to keep her off my boxes.

Having a Basset is such an...adventure!!

Lisa Metzler

Penelope, Jasmine, Pelly, and Addie-Lou Roo....

L.K. Metzler
San Marcos, TX
toppogigio at yahoo.com

"A dog wags its tail with its heart." - Martin Buxbaum

"If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one." -- Andy Rooney