[Dailydrool] Rolph update

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 10 01:49:55 PST 2009

Fistly, I want to thank everyone who e-mailed kind words and e-cards to me yesterday. It was dreadful hard being sat at work worrying about my boy. My colleagues know I have the dogs, but most of them are of the "it's just a dog" variety and I really needed the support.

  Whe Rolph became ill I was wracking my brains over what he could have eaten (being Rolph, it had to be something he ate). I was really worried that this time he had a blockage, but I couldn't think of anything he might of grabbed. However, when I rang the XH to see if he had got into anything there, it turned out there was an empty strip of paracetemol on the floor, he had also done one of his mad dashes up the road to eat the bread a neighbour throws out for the birds, And I found a rat hole in the garden. So, there were a couple of possibilities.

   I spoke to the vet in the afternoon who said the bloodwork was clear (no paracetemol or rat poison) and that there was no obvious blockage on the Xrays. He said he had "very bad" gastroenteritis and that his whole gut was packed with gas. They gave him various meds and I was able to pick him up last night.

  He is still not a happy boy. Last night he was walking like he was a very old dog, swaying on his feet and sleeping a lot. He ate a little chicken and rice though, which was the first thing he'd had for nearly two days.

  He worke me at 4am, I assumed he wanted to go out, but he assumed I wanted to give him breakfast. He didn't get any, but I took that as a good sign.

  This morning he has had a little more chicken and rice, but he's very floppy still, just sleeping somewhere near wherever I am. He hasn't even asked for a walk!

  Anyway, I think (hope) the worst is over, but will be watching him like a hawk this weekend.

  Thanks again for all your support, basset people really are the best.

  Sally with Rolph and Clara, UK