[Dailydrool] heartworm treatment / Kahuna

Barbara Rocheleau brocheleau at snet.net
Sun Jan 11 19:29:37 PST 2009

Hi Droolers and Happy New Year!
In regards to the heartworm preventative, I couldn't sit back and not write in.  I definately encourage you all to give your babies heartworm preventative treatment year round.  We live in Connecticut and I have always given my dogs a six month treatment and then have a test in the spring before they are given the next six month treatment.  Last year Opie tested positvie for heartworm.  With global warming or whatever last November (2007) was warmer than usual and the mosquitoes were still around and biting and Opie got bit....the heartworm medication treatment is horrible.  They get injections and then have to be kept still for 6-10 weeks...have you ever tried to keep a basset down??  The poor guy had to be kept medicated so he could not get excited and jump, or get on or off the couch...they have to stay completely still...it is truly pathetic.  Opie is on the DD calendar on June 9th, he is medicated in this picture....those eyes are VERY
 droopey!  So WE (Opie and I) are advocates for year round heartworm preventative!!

Kahuna we are so proud of you!!  We have watched you grow since your were a puppy and you have always been so beautiful!!  One of our favorites!  You definately get our vote!  Congratulations...we hope you get a steak, you deserve it!  YUM!!  Have fun playing in the snow!

Barbara mom to Layla and Opie