[Dailydrool] Lenny wont be having surgery

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Mon Jan 12 17:24:10 PST 2009

Hi Bob and Lenny,
I am sorry to hear that Lenny is not able to have the PTO surgery.  I wanted to let you know  that my Ruby Doo (my rescued husky/shepherd mix)  has severe hip dysplasia.  She had  the femoral neck removal surgery on one hip and has done pretty well considering that she had a lot of muscle atrophy when the ortho finally decided it needed to be done.  She still needs the other hip done but  we are reluctant to do it until we know that hip will support her.  My only suggestion if you end up going with this surgery is to time it so you can swim him.  (Unless you have access to a heated pool)  I used the river  because the current was great for resistance, but she still had the support of the water.  She started out 2x day for 10 minutes and slowly worked her way up to 45 minutes a day...until it got to cold.   Now we go for walkies.  Ruby gets around really well now, even though the other hip is still bad.  I just thought I would let you know my experience
 with the surgery.
Drools and Belly Rubs,
Karen and The Dog House Gang