[Dailydrool] Vestibular Disease

Sandra Helbling sandyhelbling at msn.com
Wed Jan 14 05:33:18 PST 2009

Has anyone had any experience with vestibular disease in their bassets?  My 14 year old beagle, Heidi, has vestibular disease for the 2nd time.  She only recovered from the first bout around 3-4 months ago.  I've seen advertisements for preventitive supplements costing $55 for 3 months supply and was wondering if anyone has tried such things and was wondering if they really work.  Heidi is now on meds (started last night) for the vestibular disease and I'm hoping that because I saw the early signs and started her meds sooner than the first time that the disease will not be as bad this time as it was the first time.   To make this basset related, I have 4 bassets of my own (plus fosters) and they are all mostly senior citizens or middle aged so I'm wondering if I will see this with them and whether there is anything I can do to help prevent it before it happens to them. For those of you who have never experienced vestibular disease in dogs, the signs are severe head tilt, walking in circles, wobbly walking or falling (they look like they are drunk!) and the eyes will move back and forth rapidly when it has progressed without treatment.  Also, they could vomit and will stop eating.  This is called the old dog's disease because it usually happens to older dogs.  My vet said that they see this disease quite often in older dogs, especially istarting n late fall when the weather changes. Any help will be most appreciated.  Drool to all those in need. Thanks,Sandy Helbling & the herd of Houndies in Butler, PA andAdoption CoordinatorDroopy Basset Hound Rescue of W. PAwww.droopybassetrescue.com