[Dailydrool] The Drool Means Gigi to Me

Kelly Jane Wilson chincoteaguegal at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 11:03:19 PST 2009

I agree a thousand percent with what Menzie so eloquently wrote about what the Drool means to her. I have been thinking about what it means to me over the past week, and Menzie put it into words so perfectly.

I had already known about Basset rescue by the time I joined the Drool. I had adopted the two big guys from Georgia Lab Rescue. When Low Bed the yellow bassador waddled into my life I got interested in the houndies and started following some local Basset rescue sites. I joined the Drool and it reaffirmed my faith in the rescue community. I adopted Mary Myrtle from Alabama.

Without the Drool I would not have heard about a heartworm positive Basset girl named Gypsy in a shelter in Caruthersville, Missouri. A quick series of emails between Bluegrass Basset Rescue and BHRA and next thing I know I said I would go pick her up, sponsor her heartworm treatment, and foster her. We agreed that we would decide whose program she would go in later.

She didn't look like a Gypsy so she became Gigi. And you know I foster failed BIG TIME. Especially after I fell hard for her along with the rest of the Wilson Gang. Especially after she got on the kitchen counter and overdosed on the big guys' arthritis meds about six days after her arrival. Especially after I was into her for a couple thousand dollars with emergency vet visits and heartworm treatment. Especially when seeing all the joy she brought to the house even getting the old Labs and grumpy Low Bed to play with her. And Mary Myrtle approved. They are best buddies.

Thank you to the Drool for that one small post about a small houndette where something touched my heart and I said yes. Her one year Gotcha Day is in a couple weeks. We will have a party and wear hats.

Kelly Jane and the Wilson Gang