[Dailydrool] Toe Nail Cuttings

Annette Mucci canine.inspirations at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 11:52:47 PST 2009

Funny, I have had the same experience with nail clipping adventures.

I have to agree that I always had a heck of a time gripping the clipper and doing the nails due to hand strength with Schroeder.  I've never had a dog with nails as thick as a basset hound so this had taken a lot of trial and error in our house.  My husband also used to be the holder and then we switched jobs and we haven't had any issues.

I do think I have more of a calming sensation when holding Schroeder while my husband clips.  Of course, I'm also giving him kisses and whispering sweet nothings too..  But it is better than my husband growling hold still and applying more pressure.

Luckily we have not hit the quick on him (knock on wood).  He would be scarred for life.  He also has a few black nails, which I hate because I never know how far to cut so am always conservative.  I haven't noticed if they are more brittle, but I am the holder so I'm not watching.

Drool to all in need!