[Dailydrool] basset noses

Margaret Honnold machonnold at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 13:21:19 PST 2009

I have laughed at the escapdes of bassets and their noses. Here is what happened at our house last night when my hubby started his nightly Vicks ritual...Holly's nose went nuts!

                       "I a Vicks Dog Now"
My Ma and Pa once had a cat that lives to 21; he had lots of habits, which really were such fun!
He loved to swing from real tall branches and ride behind my Pa upon his motorcycle making everyone in awe!
He'd sit upon my Pa's lap when he was on the throne and when Pa was home from work he never was alone.
BUT, Sam had one bad habit for which my Pa's to blame and Ma says now to "stop it" for he's giving me the same.
Every night when he goes to bed, my Pa gets out the Vicks and upon his nose and mouth a great, large glob he sticks!
Tonight as that ritual happened I was on the bed, AND suddenly into my nose a lovely odor spread.
Like flowers on a bright spring morn or candles in the night, I sniffed and sniffed that lovely smell but did I see it right?
Did that great smell within my nose from that blue jar arise?  So much aroma in one place, I could not believe my eyes.
Oh, my sniffer snoot just trembled with vapors unknown to me but I could understand now just how hooked that cat could be.
So, in my head a plan is brewing when I see that bright blue jar, I'll wake right up so from my Pa, I'll not be very far.
I'll feign my sleep and lay real still, so Ma and Pa will see, what a snuggly, little puppy in bed with them I'll be. (then they won't put me down)
BUT...when that blue jar appears and the Vicks aroma spreads; I'll jump right into my pa's lap so my nose on it he'll spread.
(I'm hooked....I a Vicks Dog now....carrying on the proud heritage of Sam, the Cat.)
thanks, for reading, Maggie Honnold
Honnold's Hound and Furkitty Farm