[Dailydrool] odds and ends

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 20:00:15 PST 2009

------------------------------------
Carmen wrote about Kelvin: He has ulcers in both ears and scars from
old ulcers. Vet said bacterial source due to the smell, "I know that
smell very well". On a very heavy duty antibiotic for 7 days, recheck
in 5 days.
He had to be sedated for the cleaning and only after all the junk was
removed were the ulcers visible. Took a half hour to get them cleaned
out!! His ears were 'packed' with salve that will deliver numbing
meds, topical antibacterial and keep anything from getting down in the
ulcer so it can heal.
We go back on Tuesday for another deep cleaning."

Carmen - poor Kelvin - those ears have probably been very painful for
a long time.  He will start to feel much better very soonn now!
Several of us on here have had experiences with persistent ear
infections (um, in our bassets, I mean); I am sure you will get some
good advice.  But overall, it sounds to me that your vet is doing the
right thing.  Those ear-packing treatments usually work very well.
Just follow the vet's instructions, and I am sure Kelvin will improve
rapidly.  Poor little guy - if you've ever had a ear infection
yourself, you can just imagine how painful that must be for him until
now!

---------------
grocery shopping for the dogs:  oh yes.  Of course, we feed a
partly-raw diet, so we really DO grocery shop for our hounds.  But
even if we didn't, we still buy yogurt, carrots for treats, fish oil
capsules (for their coats)... all sorts of groceries!  One whole shelf
in our refrigerator is given over completely to the dogs' foodstuffs!

----------------
Long ahired bassets:  I know of a couple.  There is a recessive gene
in bassets that actually produces a long coat; and when I say long,
think of Irish setters, or long-haired dachshunds.  The "little extra
curls" around the neck or ruff is very normal, and not "long-haired"
at all.  Just evidence of a slightly thicker coat than some other
bassets.  BHRG had a long-hair come into the rescue a few years ago, a
gorgeous red and white boy, with long feathery hair like an Irish
setter's.....

Here are links to a couple of pictures of real long-haired bassets -
beautiful, aren't they?
This is Gabby, Miriam Dalfen's long-haired girl, who is momma to my
Barney:  (hopefully Miriam doesn't mind me posting these...)
http://photos.imageevent.com/freenite/miriamscrew2007/websize/IMG_0854.JPG

Gabby rolling in the summer grass (with her daughter Melody):
http://photos.imageevent.com/freenite/miriamscrew2007/websize/IMG_0860.JPG

Gabby's face and ears:
http://photos.imageevent.com/freenite/houndsittingweekendmay2007/websize/IMG_0597.JPG

--