[Dailydrool] Scooting Bassets

Leah McConnell lmcconnell at centurytel.net
Fri Jan 16 16:50:44 PST 2009

Maggie scoots around when her anal glands are full and need to be emptied.
That happens every 1-2 months. Sometimes she scoots and I figure her butt is
itchy or her perianal tumor is bothereing her. She also knows she gets
attention when she does it. She can scoot and make a perfect cicle - she
just pivots around using her butt as the pivot point . At the moment her
Highness is sleeping on the couch. The last two days she has managed to
knock the trash can over twice rummaging for goodies. She had a bout of the
squirts and is on limited feedings so she is very interested in food. Today
she crawled under the patio fence - a 5 inch space, got into the little
garden area and got her chain wound around the little holly bush. I had to
go out and unhook her and then get the chain back under the fence. She
hasn't done that in months. I went out to investigate her barking and saw
where the chain was leading. She goes to the vet on Monday for her annual
exam and I will talk to the vet about the best way to feed her. I am very
careful what I feed since the pancreatitis attack. She managed to get part
of a chicken breast on yesterday's walk. A cat was eating it and took off
and she went right at it. To make matters worse her collar slipped over her
head and I had to put that back on before I could deal with the mouthful of
chicken. She will not drop food once she gets her teeth into it. She dropped
most of it and I kicked that out of reach. She must really be feeling better
because she back to her OEBE ways. She also does a lot of stretching while
she is sleeping and when she gets up.

Leah, momslave to Maggie the Evil Empress of the San Juan Islands