[Dailydrool] New to the Daily Drool

AAFD in MA aafdincma at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 09:20:10 PST 2009

Hello all of you fellow Basset lovers and greetings from chilly Massachusetts!

I wanted to take a couple of minutes and introduce myself and my crew.  My name is Cathy.  My husband, Rob, and myself run the Animal Aid Foundation, Inc of MA.  We are fosters and co-partners with a wonderful woman in Georgia that owns the parent rescue Animal Aid Foundaiton of Dawsonville, Inc.  We bring animals up to the northeast that would most likely be euthanized in the south.  I'm sure most of you are well aware, of the over-crowding in the animal shelters/humane societies down south.  The atrocities are unspeakable and the conditions anything BUT humane!  Anyhow...I digress, sorry...I do that often!  We recently rescued a wonderful drooler named Biscket.  I think there are alot of you that are aware of his story...I've gotten some wonderful supportive emails from lots of you.  He's a beautiful lemon/white Basset that came to us limping on his back left leg.  Unfortunately the injury had occured so long ago there was little
 to nothing that could be done to save the leg.  He had surgery to have it removed on January 13th.  I wanted to let you know that this big guy is such a trooper!  He is doing excellent!  We had set up a sleeping area apart from the rest of the foster dogs for when he arrived home from his surgery.  It was nice cushy blankets with his own little heater and nice and dark and quiet.  It was secluded off by himself so he could relax and recover.  The minute we put him in there he whined and whined and whined and whined...you get the picture.  We thought maybe he needed to do his business so hubby gently carries him outside....nope, nothing.  He just stands there looking at hubby...so hubby carries him inside and places him gently on the blankets....and he whines and he whines and he whines......he wanted NO PART of being by himself!  We brought him into the room with the other foster dogs - blankets, heater everything.  He smiles at hubby
 and you can see his face say "Now THIS is what I wanted!  Thank you!"  He proceeds to turn in a circle and lay down with all the other foster dogs/pup gathered around him and cuddled up to keep warm!  What a guy!

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the hound breeds, but never experienced a Basset first-hand until Biscket.  I have to tell you....he will NOT be the last one that we rescue!  If they are all as sweet and easy-going as he is...we're likely to rescue a LOT!

Cathy
Foster / Volunteer AAFD, Inc. MA

 http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA387.html

A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor.
He will love you unconditionally.
Give him your heart and he'll give you his.
From: Marley and Me